Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

What better way to start off a blog about sewing than with this meme from Sew Mama Sew.

What brand and model do you have?
I have a very basic Brother Star 110
How long have you had it?

I think that it is about six years since I bought this machine new.
How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

It was $499 Australian
What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I'll try to sew anything that takes my interest. Right now that includes clothes for my children, bags, cushions, rugs and I have bought a walking foot for it so that I can try quilting.
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I'm sewing heaps more now than I used to so the machine is getting a lot more wear and tear than in the first few years that I owned it. It could probably use a good service at the moment as it has been a few years since the last one - if only there was someone close by to do the job!
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I have a love/hate relationship with my machine. When it works well I love it and when it dosen't I am not very happy with it. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that the machine is quite basic and only has 21 stitches and hates shirring - or if the problems are due to user error.
What features does your machine have that work well for you?

Hmmm.....well, while I would love it to have a lot more different stitch options it does the job I need it to do, it is very straight forward to use and has a drop in bobbin and needle threader which is brilliant.
Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Shirring - I have yet to find out a way to get it to work.
Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Nothing that would make it interesting.
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

It is a good basic machine for beginners but anyone wanting to do more advanced sewing should look for a different model
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Having a machine that has functions related to the majority of what you sew. Good price and reliability of after sales service.
Do you have a dream machine?

At the moment it would be a Bernina with the option of an embroidery module.

6 comments:

Tas said...

Lovely looking blog Jo. Your 1st blog post is perfect!

Sandy~Folkwood said...

Great blog Jo! Is that the melly and me giraffe in your header pic? I have that pattern and love the fabric you used :-)

Kelly Casanova said...

Welcome to blogland!

Jetta's Nest said...

Hey Jo

Welcome to blogland :)

Samantha

johanna said...

Thanks ladies! Sandy it is the melly and me giraffe :)

Amber said...

Hi Jo,
Just noticed that you have a Brother and have had shirring problems. Please check out my blog for this and maybe it will help. http://gigglesmum-creativeheart.blogspot.com/2009/10/shirring-problems-i-cracked-it.html