Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Farbenmix Olivia - color blocking experiment

It looks like I'm getting two posts in this month - amazing,lol.

Pattern: Farbenmix Olivia - underdress
Fabric: Stenzo(?)red & white dot knit, Busilis pink & red dot knit and Colorado red knit, all purchased from Crafty Mamas.

I saw a really cute knit dress that had been color blocked (?) with diagonal lines of pastel colored fabric. I thought that the Olivia would look cute like this so headed off to the fabric stash with the idea of trying color blocking out to see if I could get a similar effect. Unfortunetly there was not much in the way of pastel colored knits- everything either had a print or was bright.

I love red and had a few different types in the stash so this is what I ended up with.



I'm quite happy with how it turned out though I should have started the second panel slightly higher up. To make the different colored panels I just cut the dress front into thirds, added 1cm seam allowance to the bottom of the bodice, 1cm either side of the centre panel and 1 cm to the top of the bottom panel so that it would be the same length as the back. Unfortunetly I didn't have enough of the pink dot fabric to make the tail section so it's just a regular old hood,lol.

I'm not sure that I've sewn the knits together in the right manner. I just cut the panels on the grain line and then matched up the seams. Whilst sewing the panels together I wasn't quite sure that the grain lines were still straight - if that makes sense? I couldn't find much info on the web on how to color block knits (hopefully I'm using the right term for it??)

Anyhow, Bel loves it and that's all that matters.


Front


Back


Trying out the twirl factor

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm really fascinated by how you made that Olivia. I may have a go when I make Lilly's as I don't have anymore of the velour. Thank you for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is absolutely beautiful. I really love red and white combos, and the blocking looks fantastic.