Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Favorite Things - Hip skirts

Wow, it's March already and I was hoping to get in more than one post a month - it's my goal this month to at least get in two,lol.





I doubt it would be right to call this a UFO as I actually did finish it but absolutely hated it and tossed it in a drawer where it remained for the last six months. Why? Being somewhat scatterbrained at the best of times I measured myself and then proceded to used my bust measurement as a guide to which size skirt to make. Being somewhat top heavy (my chest size is two sizes larger than my hip size) I ended up with a skirt that was way too large and at the time somewhat uninspiring. After a complete deconstruction which resulted in four centimeters being cut off the back skirt peice and 2 cm from the sides of both skirt front peices it now fits beautifully.

The other reason it got tossed aside was that it was just plain boring. The photo's don't do it justice (especially since I wore it to work today and its a little wrinkled- but if I did not post about it now who knows how long it would take to get back to it). I added some ribbon to the bottom of the skirt and some cute buttons which are hard to see in the photo and I'm now actually quite liking it

The pattern was really easy to follow and went together quite quickly (apart from the 6 month "rest" in the cupboard). I think the sizing is quite generous despite my blunder. The only thing I don't like about this skirt is the use of elastic in the waist band - it kind of gives it a bunched up look - next time I think I'll try and put a zip in the side and see how that turns out.


1 comment:

willow and moo said...

Jo, I really like what you've done with that skirt. I think it's really cute. :)